Party Photography Galleries
The following are largely unedited galleries of pictures from from various events and photoshoots.
Most of the photos shown here are for sale, as prints (of various sizes), T-Shirts, even as JPEGs to stick up on your website or Myspace. Please see the prices page for more details.
* = recommended gallery
** = highly recommended gallery
- 30th October 2009 - Mod For It - Sheffield's top Mod, Northern Soul & 60s night, upstairs at DQ.
- 2nd October 2009 - Cats for Peru album launch party - Gig featuring Cats for Peru and Little Lost David, at Sheffield's Shakespeare pub.
- 26th September 2009 - Ralph Razor's 30th birthday party & grand portrait unveiling - debauched disco at Penelope's celebrating the birthday of Sheffield's legendary showman Ralph Razor, of Razor Stiletto fame.
- 7th September 2009 - The Brain Unravelled exhibition opening - an exhibition in three disciplines: art, anthropology and neuroscience; held at the Slade School of Art in London.
- 30th August 2009 - Cuckoo Clocks at Club 60 - The first gig by this Sheffield supergroup.
- *Tramlines 09: photos from Friday | photos from Saturday | photos from Sunday - Sheffield's first city-wide music festival. An amazing event, featuring the likes of Kid Acne, obLONG, The Heebie Jeebies, Man Like Me, Watch This Fire Spread, Cats for Peru, Rodney P, Jack & the Beanstalks, Just Jack, Robert George Saull and the Purgatory Players, and many more...
- 25th June 2009 - Out of the Ordinary: Spectacular Craft - Opening of the latest V&A touring show at Sheffield's Millennium Galleries.
- *16th May 2009 - Rollerpalooza - Roller-skating roller-blading madness in Sheffield featuring Black Lips, Mika Miko, Gringo Star, The Manhattan Love Suicides, Brontide, The Hipshakes, Urgent Talk.
- *3rd January 2009 Dave's birthday party - Rumpus/Baby Long Legs drummer Dave Attwood's birthday party, at an anonymous practice studio in Sheffield and then at the Washington.
- * 28th February 2008 Utopia launch party for Creative Sheffield - Sheffield's bold & beautiful partying at the Millennium Galleries, Winter Gardens and the Runaway Girl.
- 18th October 2007 - The Pat Thomas Quartet, Raagnagrok and Glynn Heppenstall at Bar Abbey - a Freenoise gig, featuring Pat Thomas (who played at the first ever free-improv gig I went to, Derek Bailey's Company Week 1991), synth-sitar drone duo Raagnagrok and noise technician Heppenstall.
- 12th October 2007 - Teenage Kicks at the Vegas Gallery, Redchurch Street - best London art show I've been to in ages, some wonderful stuff here, all vibrant and raw with the emotions of teenage kicks. So hard to beat.
- 10th October 2007 - The Indie Hour 2nd Birthday Party at the Runaway Girl - I joined Stevlor, Denzil & friends at Sheffield's best-lit bar. Arriving late, I still managed to catch an excellent DJ set from Screaming Mimi, featuring lots of Cardiacs.
- * 8th October 2007 - Panic Cell, Forever Never and Breed of Contempt at Corporation - my first gig in a while, three excellent metal/thrash bands - Panic Cell, Forever Never and Breed of Contempt. I'd forgotten how much I like this type of music. Afterwards, I hung around for the club night and mugged people with my camera.
- 6th October 2007 - Razor Stiletto featuring We Are the Black Lights - the theme for the night was "garbage", which was appropriate because I was already completely trashed by the time I got there. As a result, I took one of my worst set of photos to date - 200 pictures on my camera and scarce a good one among them. Still, I managed to salvage these few mementos of the night.
- 5th October 2007 - Déjà Vu - Carr, Carnet & Guy exhibition opening at BLOC - the first art show of BLOC's 2007/8 season, featuring work from Alison Carr, Laure Carnet and Lesley Guy.
- 22nd September 2007 - Peek-a-Boo Varietease Amateur Burlesque night - a new venture for Peek-a-Boo: amateur night, featuring a competition for the best variety acts and striptease artists.
- 21st September 2007 - Paul Evans "After Nature" painting exhibition opening night at the Cupola Gallery, Sheffield - I've been following artist Paul Evans's progress with interest for the last couple of years, and with this show of "inner and outer landscapes" he seems to have found a new confidence (as confirmed when he recently won the Eyestorm painting prize).
- 14th Septebmer 2007 - Rutland - Nylon - Washington - A very drunken crawl between these three Sheffield nightspots. After soaking up a bit of culture and a lot of wine at the Site Gallery, I headed to the Rutland with some of the other gallery-goers. A few drinks later I staggered down the road to Nylon, where I arrived rather late for Linzi's birthday bash and just caught the end of Durban's set. I rounded off the night with a quick drink in the Washington before heading home. These photographs are virtually the only memory I have of that night.
- 13th September 2007 - Andy and Alex's wedding at Aston Hall - I know Andy and Alex from their time working behind the bar at the Washington. As I'm usually waving my camera around when I'm drinking in there, they thought of me when choosing a photographer for their wedding. Another wonderful, moving wedding day, and that evening all of the staff of the Washington and surrounding pubs arrived for the reception, making me wonder who was serving drinks to the thirsty punters of Sheffield that evening.
- 7th September 2007 - Jack and Kate's wedding on the River Dart - I met Kate Marshall when she was one of the artists participating in the Noise Festival exhibition at the Liverpool Biennial. At the after-party, her boyfriend Jack Corrigall stood up on the table and proposed to her. I happened to be there, snapping away, and when I got home I emailed them my pictures from that evening. So I was flattered when they asked me to be the official photographer at their wedding a year later. The reception took place in a field by a marina in East Cornworthy, near Dartmouth, Devon. Bride and groom arrived sailing a dinghy, and a wonderful day and night followed...
- 5th September 2007 - Jody Wildgoose and Watch This Fire Spread live at the Grapes - it felt like far too long since I'd been out at night with my camera, plus for some time I'd been hoping to catch Sandman magazine editor Mark Roberts and his band Watch This Fire Spread. I decided to combine the two, and head to the Grapes for the evening.
- * 9th August 2007 - Bench Meadowhall flagship store launch and VIP after-party - the opening of the new Bench clothing shop in Sheffield, followed by a crazy party at the Harley with Mani (Stone Roses/Primal Scream) on the decks.
- ** 5th August 2007 - 1234 Records' Shoreditch Festival, Shoreditch Park, London - possibly my best photoset to date, 1234 Records kindly gave me an access-all-areas backstage pass and the freedom to roam around the festival photographing Shoreditch twats and other assorted Hoxton characters. Including one of my favourite bands, Man Like Me.
- 21st July 2007 - Washtock Saturday night - featuring Kid Acne, The Lovers and Laarj Dor at Sheffield's famous Washington pub.
- 7th July 2007 - Razor Stiletto - all the usual Razor Madness from Ralph "Oberon" Razor and the Ralphettes, this time with a Midsummer Night's Dream theme. I came as Robin Starveling AKA Moonshine, as you will (perhaps) see from some of the photos.
- 2nd July 2007 - Meat for a Dark Day single launch - Sheffield dandy Mark Hudson (ex-Fat Truckers) and his boys perform their own unique brand of music at The Grapes.
- * 20th June 2007 - The Cherokees go to London - top Sheffield rockers The Cherokees play a showcase at Volstead, one of Mayfair's most exclusive private members' clubs, and pose for a photoshoot while they're there.
- 16th June 2007 - Durban goes to the Leadmill, featuring Air Traffic,
Sonic Hearts and
The Stations - a mammoth day's reportage, following Sheffield rockers Durban from practice rooms to soundcheck to backstage at the Leadmill, followed by a gig showcasing Durban and five other bands.
- 7th June 2007 - Raagnagrok, The Tajalli Vortex and Madame P & Stefano Giust play the Klinker club, Nunhead, London - a free-improv gig featuring my own band, The Tajalli Vortex. Hence there's not many photos of TTV in there (I was busy playing bass).
- 2nd June 2007 - Razor Stiletto 4th birthday party at DQ, Sheffield - all the customary madness from Razor Stiletto, plus balloons, face-painting and zombie rockabillies.
- 31st May 2007 - Paddy Orange, The Blinding & Ian Britt at Nylon, Sheffield - a great twisted hip-hop performance at this stylish new Sheffield bar.
- 23rd May 2007 - Yo Yo Static EP launch featuring the Barnacles and Richard Masters, Upstairs at DQ, Sheffield - sea-shanties , school-age drummers and the "indie Osmonds".
- 19th May 2007 - Peek-a-Boo burlesque night at the Stardust Bar, Sheffield - more cheeky fun at Ultravixen's premiere saucy party night, featuring sizzling performances from Scu le Star and Lord Dashwood, among others.
- 19th May 2007 - Everybody Loves Hiem at the Leadmill, featuring the Carol-Anne Showband, Darlings of the Split Screen, Pink Grease and a tank! - Hiem arrive at the Leadmill in a tank. Unfortunately I couldn't stay long enough to catch their set, but I did get some blinding photos of the three support acts.
- * 27th April 2007 - Pink Grease roller disco featuring The 80s Matchbox B-Line Disaster - wow! Sheffield goes all 80s, a roller-disco with nylon hotpants, neon colours and frantic psychobilly moshing.
- 26th April 2007 - Damo Suzuki with The Tajalli Vortex and The Gated Community at Nether Edge Club - free improv with former Can frontman Damo backed up by Sheffield's 15-headed improvisatory orchestra. (This is a temporary set - more to come. Thanks to 0742 for operatng the camera).
- 14th April 2007 - Jan Webster's (Sandman editor) leaving do at G2 Studios - a late-night party held in a recording studio, with some of the cream of Sheffield's music scene letting their hair down. I was also letting my hair down, hence the rather fuzzy photos.
- 14th April 2007 - Jen's Blackpool Beach-themed birthday party at the Cremorne - everything's gone all Blackpool at my favourite Sheffield boozer. Kiss me quick!
- 10th April 2007 - Purple Rabbits at the Grapes - friend Sophie's band, formed of students from her course, playing a showcase gig at the Grapes.
- 29th March 2007 - Cherokees EP launch - Bluewire at Bar Matrix, Sheffield. Also featuring The Starrlings, Durban and the Montgomery Follicles - Cherokees, one of the front-running contenders in the "Sheffield bands who'll make it big in the wake of the Arctic Monkeys" stakes, playing an intimate gig packed with enthusiastic friends.
- 28th March 2007 - Skool Disco at Corporation - students and teenagers. Dressed in school uniform. Getting drunk and dancing. Do I really need to spell it out?
- * 27th March 2007 - Medusa's Wardrobe alternative fashion show - a charity fashion show, with exhibitors including Syd & Mallory, Amie-B, Eve, Exile, Freshman's Boutique, Purple Monkey, Each to their Own and the show-stopping Rocky Horrors goth crew from Division Street.
- 27th March 2007 - Razor Stiletto after-show party for Medusa'a Wardrbe, DQ, Sheffield - carrying on after the fashion show, Ralph and the Ralphettes spin the discs while the models and punters get down on the floor.
- 27th March 2007 - late night at the Harley with DJs Jew & Tits - after Medusa's Wardrobe, Sheffield uber-snapper Stevlor invited me to the Harley to see where the real late-night lounge lizards hang out. I photographed them.
- 25th March 2007 - private pary, Alice-in-wonderland style - Hanna's 22nd birthday party Upstairs at DQ, a Mad Hatter's tea party complete with playing cards, pink flamingos and coconut-coated mushrooms sweets.
- * 23rd March 2007 - Corporation - Drop, Mystery Machine and Fracture - Sheffield - alternative, indie, britpop, metal, punk, emo and hardcore discos at Sheffield's biggest and best alternative nightclub.
- 23rd March 2007 - Sheffield Art Ambassadors open studio event at Yorkshire Artspace - a tour of Yorkshire ArtSpace’s award-winning purpose-built premises, Persistence Works, and some of the artists working there.
- 22nd March 2007 - Jon Gomm at the Washington - incredibly dexterous and inventive accoustic guitarist, Jon Gomm, packs out the Washington's new purple room.
- * 22nd March 2007 - late night at the Cremorne - after-hours, after-drinks, intimate portraits in this friendly Sheffield pub.
- 15th March 2007 - Purple Room christening at the Washington, Sheffield - the launch part for this new gig room in Sheffield's best-connected music pub (formerly owned by Pulp drummer Nick Banks, and frequented by all of Sheffield's musical legends past and present). Performances from the Busketeers (Bison), Repeat after Me and The Theories.
- 3rd March 2007 - Razor Stiletto, featuring Barnacles, Rubber Ritchie and Deluka, at DQ, Sheffield - Sheffield's craziest nightclub goes all nautical, with sea-shanties from the Barnacles and some impressive moves from vegan contortionist bass-player Rubber Ritchie.
- 18th November 2006 - Ultravixen's Peek-a-Boo burlesque night at Stardust Bar, Sheffield - ladies take their clothes off in front of appreciative crowd. And so much more.
I have loads more photos which will be appearing here soon, including:
Email me if you want to know when any of the above galleries go live.